Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hibachi Yakitori

http://bbq.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/bl31018a.htm

Yakitori is the Japanese equivalent of the American Hot Dog. These meat kebabs are sold by street vendors throughout Japan and usually served up with a nice cold beer after a long days work.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 bunches green onions, washed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
1/4 cup mirin
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger

Preparation:Soak about 20 small bamboo skewers in water. Preheat grill. Combine soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar and ginger in a saucepan and heat enough to melt the sugar. Thread chicken and onion pieces onto skewers, about three pieces of chicken each. Reserve 1/3 cup of sauce and pour the rest over the kebabs brushing to evenly coat. Place skewers on hot grill and grill for about 3 minutes per side or until done. Remove skewers from grill and serve with remaining sauce.

"Since I didn't have any fresh green chilis, I used almost 2 teaspoons of drained canned green chilies. I also forgot to mention 2 small personal touches that I think brought this recipe up to the taste sensation it was. After blending ingredients into ground lamb mixture, I put it in a glass bowl and covered with plastic wrap. I let this "marinate" in the fridge for about 24 hours. The flavors really blended and the grilled result was perfectly seasoned. Also, right before serving I melted a slice of mozarella cheese over each skewer of lamb - a match up that couldn't be resisted. The way I skewered these was as follows. I made the ground mixture into long logs - then ran the skewer through them. Presto

No comments:

Post a Comment